Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One Pleasant Street.



Last night my son and I were dropping something off at his friends house. We had never been to her house so I told him to be sure and get directions. He got the address. Her house number was 668. He said, you go past the pool, then the church, then up the hill.

The nice thing about Utah is its grid system the Mormons decided to form all those many years ago. The Salt Lake City Temple is in the center of downtown. The streets around its perimeter are named: North, South, East and West Temple. That is where the grid starts ... 100 North, 200 North, 300 North, etc. In theory it is a fabulous idea. If you have both of the coordinates (i.e.: 458 South, 1300 East) you should be able to find the way to any designated destination without directions or a map. In theory.

My Haley was a big time soccer player when we first moved to Utah. That little girl had games all over the Salt Lake Valley and I got lost almost every single time we headed out to a game - and it drove me SO nuts, that I was ready to move back to California because it made NO sense to me what-so-ever!!! And when people told me it's so easy, you just follow the numbers of east/west/north and south, I wanted to smack them ... I really did.

Sometimes I would be on the right street, watching the numbers get larger, (as I would need them to) and then the street would end. Now what?

Well, now you had to back track. Head out of that neighborhood, maybe go down a block or two, turn back toward where that street would have been had it not stopped so abruptly and then continue, hoping you reached your designated house or business number before the street stopped again. (Don't even get me started on streets that curved and suddenly the numbers on the houses went from 13802 South to 1124 East!!!) It made no sense to me at all.

But now that I have lived here for 14 years, I get it, and it is such a good reliable system. :)

As we were headed back from Elliott's friends house he asked me if there were any house numbers that were just One.

I thought about my neighborhood, about all the other neighborhoods I was familiar with around the area and said, "You know, I don't think there are any houses with that number anywhere around here. With the grid system they would all start with 100. But did you know that Grammie and Grampie used to live in a house with the number One?"


One Pleasant Street
Nantucket Island, Massachusetts
02554


Talk about a perfect address ... and a perfect place to be.

7 comments:

  1. Awe...you gotta know that was ONE PLEASANT STREET!!! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect address I agree..wish it was mine! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really the most perfect address. and as if people actually LIVE on Nantucket Island. Can it get more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments about Paris and i am enjoying my return visit...........love the doggie pool. Now that is a good city. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a perfect address!

    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog about my Mom's passing. I love and miss her so much but I am so blessed that I have the hope and promise of the two of us being reunited again, and Forever!!!
    Love, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE how Utah does their address system! Another reason why I want to move back there!

    ReplyDelete