Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Strawberries.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I absolutely LOVE strawberries!  And summer is a really yummy strawberry season ... its finally summer and the strawberries are out in full force and lookin' mighty fine.  (Sam's Club and Costco seem to have the biggest and juiciest strawberries.  Soooooo yummy!) 

A chocolate covered strawberry just might be one of my favorite treats.  LOVE!  And it really is a "treat" because I don't get to have one too often.  (Although I can admit that there have been times when I have been sitting at my desk, crave one, decide I need a break right then, jump in my car and drive to the Chocolate Cottage and get a few.  The problem with that is, since I've made the trip, I don't just get the strawberries.  I also get a few chocolate covered grapes and raspberries.  And a few mint chocolate truffles.  And usually two or three peanut clusters ... all of those are some of my favorite treats too.  And I don't usually share.  Not because I wouldn't share, I just don't make it home with anything.)

It would frustrate me when I would bring home strawberries from the grocery store, set them in the fridge, and then within just a day or two they would start to get old and I would end up wasting several.  (Not happy about that.)  So now when I bring home a basket of strawberries, I rinse them, cut them up into a bowl and sprinkle sugar on them.  That way, sitting in the fridge, all fixed up and ready, they get eaten up - still mostly by me.

My son told me he doesn't like strawberries.  I know that, but I still ask him every single time I'm fixing them if he'd like to have some.  And every single time he says, "Mom, I don't like strawberries."  (Okay. It is probably just a matter of time before he just stops responding altogether - sometimes he is just too fun to tease though and I can't resist.)

10 comments:

  1. Guess what I just finished doing? Taking my parents to the Strawberry Patch...I am so full of berries right now...oh I so agree with you...they are the BEST!!!!!
    I love your black and white polka dot pitcher! I have some bowls that would match perfectly!

    Thank you for all your sweet comments you always leave me..you are the BEST!!!!

    Enjoy those berries. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know elliott didn't like strawberries...i guess he doesn't like very much so, i shouldn't be too surprised but still, strawberries? they are delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a stinker Mom! LOL My favorite thing ever is chocolate covered strawberries, we have been making them since spring hit! My daughter who is due in about 3 weeks says sh just can't eat enough of them! What a sweet gift they are! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm...chocolate strawberries are muy delicious! Another favorite is strawberry shortcake! Maybe next year I will try to plant them. Until then, I think I'll run to the store now and get a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Yummy! Yummy! I always request homemade strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream for my Mother's Day dessert. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I just got back from Costco with their great big box of ORGANIC strawberries! When I read that berries were some of the top contenders on the Dirty Dozen List of fruits containing pesticides, I could no longer enjoy the regular ones. And the organic are sooooo expensive. So, I nearly flipped when I saw the organic ones at Costco! They have organic raspberries, too and quite a bargain. As a dessert in Italy they chop strawberries and sprinkle them with a little bit of lemon zest and fresh juice and then add the sugar. It is divine {saw this on TV} and my whole family just loves it. Guess what we're having tonight???
    GREAT pictures! xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha. i love that you keep asking him.

    i also LOOOOVE strawberries (prob one of my fav fruits)...but only if they are nice and ripe and sweet :o) the ones in your picture look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love chocolate covered ones, too...have you ever gotten the Baker's Brand of chocolate that comes in a microwave cup in the baking row at the market....soooooo yummy!!!!!! Next time we are together ~ we are having some! Two minutes in the micro and its ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! I'm with Elliott, I don't care for them either. I'm really texture oriented, and I don't like the little seedy things! LOL! My Mom, on the other hand, LOVE, LOVE, LOVED them! Before she passed away from Alzheimer's Disease, I would visit her nearly every day. When in Season, I would always buy a Sara Lee pound cake, slice up some strawberries, and pack a can of whip cream with me and head up to surprise her, (not hard to do with an Alzheimer's patient, LOL). Anyway...her eyes would light up when she saw what I'd brought and every time she would take a bite, she would look at me, say, "this is delicious, don't you want some?", and everytime I'd say, "No, Mom...I don't like strawberries." She would purse her lips into a frown and proclaim, "YOU DON'T??? Well you're no daughter of MINE!!". God bless her...she was the best! I guess some of the best people I know, have a love of strawberries! :)

    ReplyDelete